Back in 1917, Howland, Ohio resident Judith Henn had 132 acres available for sale. With a possible influenza epidemic facing the area, the land was donated to the city of Warren to be utilized for a facility to treat those infected. However, when the virus failed to materialize, city council now found itself holding vacant land.
Contingent upon the property only be used for recreational purposes, it was determined a municipal 9-hole facility would be developed for the residents of Warren to enjoy. The course opened to the public in 1928. A second nine holes was added not long after.